Seared Spiced Duck Breasts with Indian Style Grape and Lime
- 4 duck breasts
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- ¼ cup finely chopped gingerroot
- 8 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp ground coriander seed
- 1 Tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili paste
- 1 Tbsp Garam Masala
- 2 Tsp salt
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 Tbsp Tamarind concentrate paste
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped gingerroot
- ¼ cup water
- 3 cups grapes
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp cayenne or 1 tbsp hot chili paste
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 limes
- Score duck skin with criss cross cuts ½-inch apart, cutting down deep enough but not into flesh. In a mixing bowl, blend together oil garlic, ginger and spices and rub onto duck breast and skin. Place into a dish, cover and refrigerate at least 6 hours but not more than 24 hours.
- Mix tamarind paste and warm water in a medium sized saucepan until well blended. Peel limes and coarsely chop zest; juice limes and add juice and zest to tamarind water.Add the remaining ingredients and stir to mix well. Heat to boiling point, reduce heat to medium simmering uncovered about 30 minutes or until thicken. Stir occasionally to mix.
- Preheat oven to 450F
- Heat a non-stick skillet, over medium-high heat. When hot, add the duck breast skin side down and sear for 2 minutes or until golden. Turn over breasts and cook for 2 minutes. Transfer skillet to hot oven and cook for a further 3 to 4 minutes or until desired doneness. Remove from oven and allow to rest 2 minutes before slicing.
- Serve with warm grape chutney.
Okanagan Grape Conserve
- 4 cups BC Grapes
- 2 oranges
- 1 cup seeded washed raisins
- 2⅔ cups white sugar
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (can omit)
- Wash grapes, slice oranges thin, remove any seeds.
- Add grapes, orange slices and raisins and sugar.
- Boil over medium heat until thick.
- Add nuts. Put into hot and sterilized jars.
- Process in hot water bath 20-25 minutes after water comes to the boil.
- Very nice on toast or pancakes, waffles, etc.
Post Office Box 42,
Grand Forks, BC, V0H 1H0
EMAIL: contact form
PHONE: 1 877 762 4652