Preserves are easier to make than you think, but you might want to let Mom help you with this one. Serve with curry dishes, on muffins, in pancake and waffle batter or heated and spooned over ice cream; or layer chutney in a trifle.
- 1½ cups (375 mL) maple syrup
- 1½ cups (375 mL) traditional Okanagan grapes
- 3 medium apples, peeled and chopped
- ¾ (175 mL) cup raisins
- ½ (125 mL) cup pecans
- ¼ cup (50mL) lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5mL) salt
- 1 tbsp. (15mL) chopped onion
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 40 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Stir frequently to avoid scorching.
- Fill boiling-water canner with water.
- Place 4 clean one-cup (250mL) mason jars in canner over high heat.
- Place two-piece vacuum lids in boiling water; boil 5 minutes to soften sealing compound.
- Ladle chutney into a hot jar to within ½ inch (1cm) of top rim.
- Remove air bubbles by sliding a rubber spatula between glass and food; readjust head space to ½ inch (1 cm).
- Wipe jar rim removing any stickiness.
- Center lid on jar; apply screw band just until fingertip tight.
- Place jar in canner.
- Cover canner; return water to a boil; process 10 minutes.
- Remove jars.
- Cool 24 hours.
- Check jar seals.
- Sealed lids curve downward.
- Wipe jars, label and store in a cool, dark place.
- Refrigerate after opening.
Makes about 4 cups.
- 1 broiling chicken, split in half
- 1½ cups coarsely crumbled cheese crackers
- 3 tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1 cup BC Grapes
- 2 tbsp. chopped onion
- 1 egg well beaten
- few grains pepper
- Sprinkle chicken lightly with salt.
- Place on rack, skin side up, in shallow backing pan; dot with 2 tablespoons butter or margarine.
- Bake at 375 F (190 C) for 30 minutes.
- While chicken is baking, sauté onion in remaining butter or margarine until golden.
- Remove from heat.
- Mix onion and drippings lightly with remaining ingredients.
- Remove chicken from oven; turn over.
- Pile grape stuffing onto chicken.
- Remove rack from baking pan, place chicken in baking pan.
- Bake 45 minutes longer basting occasionally with drippings.
Makes 2 generous servings.
Special note: To serve four, double amounts of all ingredients
If you use blue grapes it will colour the chicken, but the flavour is delicious!
Post Office Box 42,
Grand Forks, BC, V0H 1H0
EMAIL: contact form
PHONE: 1 877 762 4652