LEAD CELLAR HAND
We are a Custom Crush facility and boutique estate winery in the Okanagan producing approximately 4,000 cases per year. Currently, we are recruiting a lead Cellar Hand for the upcoming harvest season. This is a full time interim position for 2017 August 1st-Nov 31st (2017 season), as a trial with potential for permanent long term employment. We have multiple clients and produce a diverse portfolio of well balanced high quality wines-red, white, rosé and traditional sparkling.
There is plenty of growth opportunity for a self-starter who is motivated to learn more winemaking, cellar management and possibly further their carrier into an assistant winemaker role. You will be working closely with the owners along with a high end multi award winning consulting winemaker.
- Involvement in every aspect of winemaking from the crush deck to fermenting to bottling
- Keeping a daily log, and completing assigned tasks on time
- Processing and receiving of fruit- sorting, weighing
- Operation of winery equipment: blue giant forklift, crusher, de-stemmer press, pumps etc.
- Filtering, pump overs and punch downs, racking and return
- Inoculations, lab work, barrel topping and winery sanitation
- Cleaning of de-stemmer, presses and all other equipment including tanks, fittings and hoses
- General winery cleaning
- Other cellar operations
- Minimum 2 years experience in all aspects of Cellar work
- Experienced with all facets of winemaking duties
- Understand and adhere to sanitary winery protocol
- Able to lift 55lbs
- Work with heights
- Work in confined spaces
- Familiarity with a wide range of winemaking equipment including, crusher/de-stemmers, presses, pumps and filters
- Must be able to work extended hours, including weekends and evenings over crush season, and as necessary to meet schedules
- Must be able to work outdoors during hot, cold / rainy weather
- Minimum 2 years experience in all aspects of Cellar and harvest work
- Must be able to work mid-August to Nov 31
- Highly organized, motivated and clean
- Attention to detail
- Strong work ethic
- Works well both with a team or independently
- Posses strong communication skills and have the ability to follow direction
- Valid visa for working in Canada
- Own transportation and accommodations
- Must have knowledge for the safe handling of chemicals and ability to perform mathematical calculations.
- Education in oenology or wine tasting
- Currently living in the Okanagan
- Post Secondary education
Hours of Work and Compensation
• Full time, position commencing August 1st 2017
• Compensation will be commensurate with experience
How to Apply
Please send via e-mail your resume (detailing your previous winery experience) with a cover letter detailing your experience to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include at least 3 appropriate references.
• All applicants will be treated in confidence.
*Only those qualified will be contacted.